Thursday, December 22, 2011

Review: Thirty-Something Girl by L. M. Stull

L.M. Stull, in her debut novel Thirty-Something Girl, has penned a literary classic. Strong words for what could be called a Chick-Lit Romance, but true none-the-less. The realistic emotion portrayed throughout creates more of a personal essay / memoir feel than fiction. The characters are as Hemingway demanded "more real than real." I was immediately drawn into the life of Hope, a woman trying to survive turning thirty as her life implodes. This novel could well be used as a textbook of well written prose. If you are a writer, in any genre, read it. This is how it is done.

As a reader, I totally lost myself in the story - relating more to Hope's trials, failures, fears, and triumphs than you would think a 50 year old man would. The writing drew me in and captured my heart. I cried with Hope and cheered for her. I totally could not put the story down, even reading it at work on my cell phone when I didn't have my Kindle handy. A Thirty-Something Girl is my Must Read of the year. Get it now. Give it to someone you love for Christmas. Author L.M. Stull is someone to watch. I can't wait to read what she writes next. 


2 comments:

  1. I am still speechless from this amazing review. You've brought tears to my eyes. I can't thank you enough. I am so very glad that Hope's story spoke to you the same way it did to me - her journey was one that was very personal to me.

    Thank you again for your support of my book!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're even. You brought tears to my eyes reading. A little embarrassing for a 50 year old construction boss. I want to write like that. Well done m'lady.

    ReplyDelete